I honestly think I’m suffering from the snowboarding blues. All I had time for snowboarding wise this year (I know that sounds mental what with it only being Feb, but this year has a lot in store for me) was just 3 days out in Bansko, Bulgaria. Its not like I did a season out in one of Europe’s many ski resorts, it was just 3 days, but whenever I see snow related blog posts on other peoples blogs, or even just images of snow on the telebox I just wish I was in a position to strap into a board and start linking huge turns down a twisty blue. This weeks interviewee is living the boarding dream, read all about it and her future travel plans here.
HI, AND WHO MIGHT YOU BE?
1. Name? Rusja Foster (But everyone calls me Roo)
2. Age? 24 (urgh how did I get so old?!)
3. Travel Blog? www.rooaroundtheworld.com
4. Twitter Handle? @rooaroundworld
5. Home Town? London, UK
6. Current Location? Les Arcs, France
7. Your current location, business or pleasure?
A bit of both. Living and working out here for the winter season, boarding as much as I can and doing just enough work to survive.
8. Can you tell us a little bit about what you’re up to at the moment? Best bits, worst bits etc.
Right now I’m living out in the French ski resort of Les Arcs, spending the winter season honing my snowboarding skills (which started at pretty much zero so it’s been a steep learning curve), doing a bit of freelance editing work and, of course, enjoying the après ski lifestyle. The best bits have to boarding everyday and living with some of my best mates. And the worst bits? The cold. Definitely the cold.
LETS TALK TRAVEL
9. First travel experience?
Hmmm, that’s a toughie. I’ve been going on family holidays to places far and wide since I was a little kid, but I suppose my first real travel experience, where I really started to get a passion for exploring the world, was on a school trip to Iceland when I was 16. It was one of the most incredible experiences, getting to discover everything this amazing country has to offer…I even got to see the Northern Lights!
10. Future travel plans?
After this winter season out here in France I’m heading Stateside for the third year running to work at a YMCA summer camp as their Media Director. And in September, I’ll be chasing the sun all the way to Australia where I’m planning to live and work for as long as they will allow me to stay!
11. If you could go anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
I’ve always wanted to go to Alaska and walk in the footsteps of my ultimate travel inspiration, Chris McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp, aka the guy from ‘Into The Wild’). Sometimes I think he had the right idea – to get rid of all material possessions and really get involved in life and people and culture. Although as a Blogger, travelling without some form of internet access would kind of defeat the point wouldn’t it?!
12. If you could avoid going anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
Home. Obviously I miss my family and friends but, for me, England has definitely lost any magic it might have once had.
13. What 5 items would you not go travelling without?
*My favourite hoodie (it works as a jumper,
*a pillow and a blanket),
*my iphone/ipod (music and apps save the day everytime),
*a copy of ‘On The Road’ by Jack Kerouac,
*a world travel adapter plug,
… and, of course, my PASSPORT!
14. Best bit of advice you’ve received?
Probably from my bestie, Rosa, who I went travelling around the world with last year. She always says that “the bad times make for the good stories”, and this is something I try to live by when I travel. When things go wrong, I always try to relax and think about the time in the future that this mishap will become a very funny story.
15. Worst advice?
Wear a money belt/pouch/fanny pack…these just make it obvious that you’re a tourist and make you an easy target for pickpockets.
16. Best bit of advice you can give readers of this interview?
If you’ve ever thought about going travelling, just stop thinking about it and DO IT. Wherever you want to go, whatever you want to see, just do it. There are no wrong ways to travel, there is only adventure.
17. Favourite ice cream flavour? Ben & Jerry’s Phish Food. Yum!
18. Apple or Andriod? Errrrr…do you even need to ask? APPLE!
19. Blogger or WordPress? WordPress. Nothing against Blogger, it’s where I started but now I’m in love with WP. Oh how fickle I am.
20. Hostel or hotel? Hostel to meet people, Hotel to relax and be clean.
21. Guilty pleasure? Endless episodes of ‘Friends’. No seriously though. I watch it every night as I go to sleep. OBSESSED.
22. Your chosen super-power? Teleportation would be ace. The worst part of travelling is actually the travel itself. 30 hours on a bus? No thanks. Never again.
23. Airplane seat – aisle, centre or window? Aisle please.
24. What song/album are you listening to right now? I’m totally obsessed with the album ‘The Heist’ by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. Favourite song off the album is ‘Same Love’…definitely give it a listen!
25. Thank you for answering my questions, as a gesture of thanks I allow you one whole paragraph to shameless plug of your website …
Roo is a traveller, photographer, filmmaker and writer with a huge case of wanderlust, and is currently living and working in Les Arcs, France. A while ago she decided that the UK was not the place for her. So in late 2011 she set off on a year-long trip around the world, visiting SE Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and the USA, documenting her adventures along the way. Her blog is full of travel tales and tips, in the forms of written stories, photos and some hilarious videos, all created for the purpose of providing potential travellers with inspiration for their own world quests. Follow her journey at Roo Around The World or on Facebook, Twitter or Youtube.