‘Rich’ and ‘traveler’ are not two words often associated, but what travelers often lack in cash they sure make up for in experiences. It all depends how you define rich I guess. Can you have money and still be poor? Can you be on the breadline and still be rich? Lets ask this weeks interviewees, it is essentially what they’re all about.
HI, AND WHO MIGHT YOU BE?
2. Age? 24 & 26
3. Travel Blog? http://www.richtraveler.com
4. Twitter Handle? @richtraveler
5. Home Town? Victoria, Texas
6. Current Location? Fort Worth, Texas (Wade) & Victoria, Texas (Morgan) (We are rockin’ a long distance relationship until we embark on our year-long journey)
7. Your current location, business or pleasure? Taking care of business before we can get to the pleasure…but there will be lots and lots of pleasure in our near future!
8. Can you tell us a little bit about what you’re up to at the moment? Best bits, worst bits etc.
I’m going to go ahead and steal this question from Morgan…currently I am frantically working on Fix-N-Flippin’ my house (the profits will be how I pay for my part of the year-long RTW journey), and my sexy lady is gearing up for her trip to France in August (without me…cruel, I know). Other than that, we are just plugging away, trying to not go totally insane from pre-journey anticipation…and we tend to talk a little too much about eating bugs. That grosses me out.
LETS TALK TRAVEL
9. First travel experience?
Our first travel experience together was a short weekend trip to Austin, Texas during the famous SXSW festival. Austin is such a unique and exciting town. Per capita, Austin probably has the highest concentration of die-hard hippies…but around every corner is some hole-in-the-wall joint that makes you believe you are the first person to ever discover that place. Austin has a funny way of making you feel like an adventurer every time you’re there.
10. Future travel plans?
Last Christmas, Morgan had a bit too much wine to drink (she can be a bit of a Wino sometimes) and she spilled her guts out about wanting to travel around-the-world with me…so that night we both signed a contract (yea, we seriously created and signed a contract…I may have been a little tipsy too), and we promised each other we would do whatever it takes to make it happen. So this coming Spring, we are starting our year-long RTW journey together. First stop: Dublin, Ireland for St. Paddy’s Day…not a bad way to start, if you ask us…green beer is our favourite!
11. If you could go anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
We both really dig Chefchaouen, Morocco…Morgan’s got a thing for blue doors, and I’ve got a thing for making her happy, so it works out well for both of us!
12. If you could avoid going anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
To work. We are both holding full-time jobs right now…yes, the dreaded 9am-5pm drag that all travellers avoid like it’s the black plague. But it’s a means to an end for us…so we are both biting the bullet for a little bit longer.
13. What 5 items would you not go travelling without?
1) A really comfortable pair of walking shoes
2) Universal Outlet Converter
4) iPad Mini/Macbook Air
5) BluBlocker Sunglasses
14. Best bit of advice you’ve received?
“Take it slow”
…we both want to see so many places on our journey, so it’s easy to get caught up in rushing from country to country. Have to remind ourselves to stop and smell the roses.
15. Worst advice?
“You shouldn’t go there…it’s too dangerous”
…which could very well turn out to be good advice, but the nature of that advice defeats the true spirit of world travel. We want to embrace the world as it truly is…the good, the bad and the ugly!
16. Best bit of advice you can give readers of this interview?
If you plan on travelling, get to know other travellers and other travel bloggers! Travellers are some of the nicest people out there. Coincidence? We don’t think so.
17. Favourite ice cream flavour?
18. Apple or Andriod? Fanboys…Apple all the way.
19. Blogger or WordPress? Currently WordPress, but we are looking into Adobe Muse…we may make the switch.
20. Hostel or hotel? Hostels…but we will be Couchsurfing and House Sitting some too.
21. Guilty pleasure? Chocolate! …and lots of it!
22. Your chosen super-power?
Wade: Dancing – Having a Michael Jackson like ability to burn up a dance floor.
Morgan: Flying – It would save a lot of money on airfare.
23. Airplane seat – aisle, centre or window?
Wade: Aisle, because I’ve got really long legs
Morgan: Next to Wade (Wade feels guilty now for not saying “Next to Morgan”)
24. What song/album are you listening to right now?
Michael Jackson – Smooth Criminal
25. Thank you for answering my questions, as a gesture of thanks I allow you one whole paragraph to shameless plug of your website …
We are just two crazy people, crazy for each other, gearing up for a journey around this crazy world. We created www.richtraveler.com as a way for us to show, and grow, the riches we get from travelling. Ironically enough, we will have very little money (roughly $50 per day) to travel the world…but we will find our riches in happiness, and for us, that is all that matters! Too much cheese? We also offer some pretty useful insight on how to plan your RTW trip. So go check out our digs!