My god, aren’t servers a pain in the backside!? Not only has my site been down the majority for the weekend, but it also delayed me in bringing to you this awesome interview with an Aussie couple living the location independent dream.
HI, AND WHO MIGHT YOU BE?
2. Age? 38 & 35
3. Travel Blog? http://www.suitcasestories.com
4. Twitter Handle? @suitcases2
5. Home Town? Brisbane Australia
6. Current Location? Costa Rica – But it changes frequently as we are traveling the globe indefinitely.
7. Your current location, business or pleasure? Always pleasure!
8. Can you tell us a little bit about what you’re up to at the moment? Best bits, worst bits etc.
Well 14 months ago we packed up our old life in Australia and left on a one-way ticket to everywhere! We housesit as travel to keep costs down and it allows us to become a ‘local’ wherever we go. We have started new ‘location independent’ careers to earn a small income as we travel. We have no plans to stop traveling any time soon! We have had an amazing journey so far!
LETS TALK TRAVEL
9. First travel experience?
Nicole travelled a fair bit in Australia but her first major trip was with Michael to Fiji in 2004. Michael travelled to Asia with his family but Fiji was his first big independent trip too.
10. Future travel plans?
We always have plans cause we are always on the road but we try not to plan too much because we love the freedom of spontaneous decisions. So far for this year we have NYC, Toronto, Barbados and Europe in the works. 11. If you could go anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why? Nicole is really looking forward to hitting up NYC again – Her favourite city. And Michael would love to fit Egypt in the plans some time soon.
12. If you could avoid going anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
I don’t think either of us would avoid somewhere without experiencing it first. And so far, we haven’t travelled anywhere we said we would never go back to. Of course there are some places higher on the ‘wish list’ than others but we wouldn’t rule anything out.
13. What 5 items would you not go travelling without?
Besides the obvious? Laptop, camera, contact lenses, kindle and each other (can I hear a ‘awwww’)
14. Best bit of advice you’ve received?
A week before Nicole’s mother passed away she told Nicole to follow her dreams of indefinite travel. That is the reason we are doing what we are doing now.
15. Worst advice?
Don’t go to Mexico, its too dangerous! Had we listened to every person who said that to us we would have missed out on one of the most beautiful countries we have seen so far! Not once did we feel unsafe in Mexico, in fact we plan on going back next year because we loved it so much!
16. Best bit of advice you can give readers of this interview?
Do whatever it takes to follow your dreams, even if they seem unreachable. Life is to short for ordinary so make your life extraordinary!
17. Favourite ice cream flavour?
Michael; Choc mint
18. Apple or Andriod? Currently android but we’ve always been Apple fans
19. Blogger or WordPress? WordPress
20. Hostel or hotel? Hotel
21. Guilty pleasure?
Michael: Online poker
22. Your chosen super-power?
Nicole: Super speed so I can get more done in my day!
Michael: Shape shifter!
23. Airplane seat – aisle, centre or window? Nicole always gets the isle so Michael gets the center
24. What song/album are you listening to right now?
Whatever is on our iPods. We have no idea what new music is out right now because we haven’t had a radio since February! We will catch up with all the new stuff when we get to the States in 2 weeks.
25. Thank you for answering my questions, as a gesture of thanks I allow you one whole paragraph to shameless plug of your website …
Nicole, and her husband Michael, are an Australian couple in who gave up their careers, sold their possessions and left their ‘conventional’ life behind for a life of travel. They have been living a nomadic life for 13 months and see no end in sight. They recently launched Suitcase Stories, a website where they share their stories, travel tips and destination guides. Their main goal for this website is to inspire others to travel and to show people how long term travel is not only possible but affordable. You can follow their journey on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest also.