Round 3. Everyone meet Monica from www.thetravelhack.com. She’s kindly agreed to answer my list of travel related questions. Lets get to know Monica a little bit, get reading …
Hi, and who are you?
1. Name: Monica Stott
2. Age: 24
3. Twitter Handle: @TheTravelHack + Facebook Page
4. URL: www.thetravelhack.com
5. Home Town: Originally a Manc, then moved to North Wales.
6. Current Location: London baby
7. … Business or pleasure? Bit of both. There’s nothing wrong with mixing business and pleasure…
8. Tell us a little bit about what you’re up to at the moment. Best bits, worst bits etc.
I travelled for almost 2 years through SE Asia and Australia and I got back 6 months ago. I’m studying journalism and working for Gap Daemon to get some travel writing and editing experience before my itchy feet kick in again and I’ll want to be on the road and make a career out of travel writing.
I’ve just started my new blog, The Travel Hack, which will be following my journey and showcasing some of the best moments from my travels along with travel tips and advice.
LETS TALK TRAVEL
9. First travel experience?
My first travel experiences as a kid were to hot and sunny European beach destinations. They were beautiful and perfect if you wanted to build sandcastles and splash in the waves all day but as I got older I wanted something more adventurous. When I was 18, my boyfriend and I travelled to Jamaica and travelled around staying in beach huts and exploring the country. This gave me my first taste for ‘off the beaten track’ travel and I started planning my trip to Asia after that.
10. Future travel plans?
I’ll be in the UK for a few months, hopefully taking some long weekends to European cities. I’m planning a big trip to India next year and I’d love to spend a few months exploring the country.
11. If you could go anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
Somewhere hot. Anywhere! It has suddenly become freezing in the UK and I miss the sunshine and warmth of Asia and Australia.
12. If you could avoid going anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
On a boat. I get seasick really bad and the thought of boats makes me feel queasy. I had some amazing seasickness tablets from Thailand – I’m not entirely sure what they were but they fixed any medical problem!
13. What 5 items would you not go travelling without?
When I go travelling again I really wouldn’t take a lot at all. I seriously over packed last time and that was a huge mistake. I’d take
- My iPad
- My passport
- My debit card
- My toothbrush
- A torch – You use a torch surprisingly often while travelling!
And that would be pretty much it. I love shopping at markets so I’d buy some clothes when I arrived and I can’t think of a lot else that I’d really need.
14. Best bit of advice you’ve received?
Before I left to go travelling I was a bit nervous. Actually, scrap that, I was terrified. I wanted to book every hotel and every trip in advance because I was worried I’d end up sleeping on the streets and all my friends who had travelled were so relaxed about it. When I asked how to find a hostel in the middle of nowhere they’d say, ‘Don’t worry, you just will.’ This was so frustrating but it’s true.
Travelling really isn’t scary. Leaving home with nothing but your passport and a backpack is scary but once you’re on the road it’s easy. Finding a place to stay is easy. Meeting friends is easy. Finding which attractions and sites you should see is easy so don’t worry about these kinds of things before you leave. And don’t over plan!
Someone told me not to bother going to Thailand because it’s a tourist trap. I’m so glad I didn’t take this advice! Sure, there are touristy areas that you have to embrace and it isn’t hard to find places untouched by mass tourism…you just have to look a little harder.
16. Best bit of advice you can give readers of this piece?
When you get home from travelling, start planning your next trip. It will give you something to look forward to before the post-travel blues set in.
17. Favourite ice cream flavour? Ben and Jerry’s Phish Food. Mmmmm
18. Curry or Chinese? Curry! The spicier the better.
19. Apple or Andriod? I use both. I wish everything could be Apple but sadly the budget doesn’t stretch that far.
20. Blogger or WordPress? WordPress – I’m new to WordPress and love it
21. Favourite Pizza? Spicy meat feast with extra cheese. If you’re going to do it…do it properly.
22. Hostel or hotel? Both, I like to mix it up. Hostels are great to meet people but you do need some luxury and privacy sometimes.
23. Airplane seat – isle, centre or window? I don’t really care which seat I get on the plane because I usually fall asleep before it even takes off. Sometimes I fight for the window seat – mainly because everyone else fights for it and I feel like I should join in – but as long as the person next to me doesn’t mind me snoring on their shoulder I’m happy.
24. What song/album are you listening to right now? I’ve got a bit obsessed with Rizzle Kicks recently. It isn’t my usual style of music and I tried not to like them for a while but I love them. Really catchy, clever tunes.
25. Thank you for answering my questions, as a gesture of thanks I allow you one whole paragraph to shameless plug of your website …
The Travel Hack is my brand new website following my journey as I try to make it in the world of travel editorial, travel writing and travel journalism. You’ll find some great tips and advice and hopefully some inspiration in there too. Enjoy!
Want to be next?
- No more than 3 backlinks in your piece (not including the questions 3 and 4, you get those for free).
- Once published on my site, the interview must then be linked somewhere on your own site.
- Once published on my site, you should visit and ‘like’ my facebook page.
- I reserve the right remove any answers or links that I deem unsuitable for my site.