In record time this weeks interviewee had his answers back to me almost as soon as I’d sent him the questions. As a publisher, clearly he’s well versed at working to tight deadlines (not that I set him any). With an interesting ‘day’ job that can see him work in some interesting conditions, this guy knows a thing or two about safety on the road. One to keep an eye on, both online and in bookstores.
HI, AND WHO MIGHT YOU BE?
2. Age? Erm, ahem! 34.
3. Travel Blog? www.bemusedbackpacker.com
4. Twitter Handle? @bemusedbackpack
5. Home Town? Liverpool.
6. Current Location? England.
7. Your current location, business or pleasure? Business unfortunately.
8. Can you tell us a little bit about what you’re up to at the moment? Best bits, worst bits etc.
I’m getting ready to publish the next two books in my Bemused Backpacker travel series, focused on gap year safety. I’m also working hard on the website and working lots at the moment, I am an emergency charge nurse too (many strings to the bow) and I have to work so many hours a year to keep my professional registration. It’s a pain but it does allow me to do cool things like being the volunteer medic on expeditions across the Sahara or through Borneo, among other things!
LETS TALK TRAVEL
Technically staying with a friend for a few months in Germany when I was at college, that’s when the travel bug first bit me. My first solo backpacking trip was an epic trip through SE Asia, still my favourite region to this day!
10. Future travel plans?
I have plenty on the cards! My next flight to Singapore is already booked (my favourite city in the world) and from there I want to spend some more time in SE Asia again, not sure where yet though, I’l make up my mind when I’m there! For my next big trip I’m planning an epic trek along the length of the Amazon, starting in the Andes in Peru and ending up in Brazil where I can get some beach time in! For the semi distant future I really hope to join an expedition across the Antarctic.
11. If you could go anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
Hmm, I know it’s greedy but can I pick two? Somewhere new I would have to say New Orleans, it’s a city I have always wanted to visit, to experience the food, the music, the culture. It just looks and sounds like an amazing, soulful place.
Somewhere I have already been, definitely Thailand. It is such a warm, open and wonderful country! It is so much more than it’s one dimensional reputation for anyone who takes the time to dig deeper and discover it.
12. If you could avoid going anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
Oh god, any of the god awful package holidays to resorts in Magaluf or Benidorm or anywhere like that, the party islands like Ibiza are my idea of holiday hell.
13. What 5 items would you not go travelling without?
To be honest I travel pretty light, so 5 may be pushing it. I never go anywhere without my camera or my notebook and pen (I’m an old fashioned writer, I love sitting at a cafe or food court and writing as I watch the world go by!) A good book always works its way into my pack but the kindle app has been getting more use of late too, and my trusty old first aid kit. You never know! (I’ve never had to use it on myself in over ten years of backpacking but have patched up other backpackers scrapes and sprains more times than I can remember!)
14. Best bit of advice you’ve received?
Slow down and enjoy travel, don’t rush through every place just to tick them off a list.
15. Worst advice?
Don’t go travelling there, it’s dangerous! (I didn’t listen!)
16. Best bit of advice you can give readers of this interview?
Whatever excuses you are using to stop yourself from travelling (no money, no time, too many commitments, a career, a boyfriend/girlfriend/whatever) then stop it! They are just excuses! Just forget them all and go! I absolutely promise you won’t regret it! Backpacking or taking a gap year will be the best thing you can ever do for yourself and those excuses are just robbing you of the opportunity to experience that!
17. Favourite ice cream flavour? Honey.
18. Apple or Android Erm, Android, but only because I don’t want to follow the crowd!
19. Blogger or WordPress? WordPress.
20. Hostel or hotel? Both, and more! Why limit yourself? There are a huge variety of accommodation options out there, hostels, boutique hotels, luxury hotels, treehouses in the jungle, buddhist monestaries, castles even, why limit yourself to just one type?
21. Guilty pleasure? Not saying! ;D
22. Your chosen super-power? Hmm, after a very brief temptation to be Wolverine, it would definitely be to stop time! The fun I could have with that!
23. Airplane seat – aisle, centre or window? Anywhere as long as I can get some leg room and don’t have a selfish idiot who reclines and breaks my knees the whole flight.
24. What song/album are you listening to right now? Normally ACDC, I’ve got Howlin for you by the Black Keys on my phone’s music player now.
25. Thank you for answering my questions, as a gesture of thanks I allow you one whole paragraph for a shameless plug of your website …
Thank you for having me! Well people always say to me I’m so lucky to have travelled the world and keep travelling as much as I do. I’m not. There’s nothing special about me. Anyone can do what I do, and that is what Bemused Backpackers is here for. It is here to inspire people to travel independently, to show them how easy it can be to travel the world. Bemused Backpackers is there to enable people to follow their dreams of taking a gap year or backpacking trip, and give them the advice and information they need to travel independently, cheaply and easily.