Sun, Sea, Sounds, Sights, Soccer
Its hard not to instantly like a fella who has the above as his twitter profile (apart from calling it soccer when everyone knows its football!). This weeks interviewee is a fellow brit and like me found travel relatively late compared to most. Still, he’s more than making up for it now. Have a read of the below to find out all about this gents travelling exploits, and be sure not t miss out on the very last sentence … it made my chuckle.
HI, AND WHO MIGHT YOU BE?
2. Age? 26
3. Travel Blog? http://thattimein.com/
4. Twitter Handle? @teamfiggygo
5. Home Town? Devon, England
6. Current Location? Devon, England
7. Your current location, business or pleasure? Business sadly
8. Can you tell us a little bit about what you’re up to at the moment? Best bits, worst bits etc.
I’m currently hard at work in my home town, saving up the pennies again after my big break-out adventure to Asia and Europe last year. At the same time I’m spilling the beans on my travel love on my site That Time In and working on my photography. On the travel side of things though I’ve already jetted back to Asia this year to spend an awesome week in Japan, and have some European adventures on the cards for the next couple of months.
LETS TALK TRAVEL
9. First travel experience?
The standard Disneyland Paris with family when I was 8! Haha and then nothing at all until Amsterdam at age 22. The bug truly bit me then, and after kicking myself for realising what I’d been missing out on I’ve been doing my best to make up for it ever since.
10. Future travel plans?
I’m actually returning to the ‘Dam next month for a quick break before a (currently) very unplanned solo week in Spain in September. With almost two weeks of annual leave still to use I should be hitting up a couple more foreign shores before the end of the year too!
11. If you could go anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
Choices choices… Possibly Kyoto in Japan. I only scratched the surface with my week-long visit this year to Tokyo and Nikko, and I’m itching to get back and explore so much more.
Mind you I’m desperate to live in Barcelona so that’s always a pretty default answer for this too!
12. If you could avoid going anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
Naples in Italy. Without a doubt. I went against all the bad things I’d heard and decided to check it out for myself last summer, but sadly it lived up to all of them. Just the grimiest, grottiest place with a real edgy atmosphere.
13. What 5 items would you not go travelling without?
My Nikon D5100,
Another hat – my fluffy mop doesn’t like the tropics!
14. Best bit of advice you’ve received?
Always have somewhere booked to stay on your first night in a new destination – You really don’t want to be lugging loads of kit around late at night looking for somewhere to lay your head!
15. Worst advice?
“Take it anyway, you might need it at some point” – You won’t!
16. Best bit of advice you can give readers of this interview?
If you want to get out there and see the world then don’t hang about, just do it. If you wait around for people who “might” be up for coming with you or for your circumstances to be perfect you’ll never do it. Don’t give yourself the excuse – you won’t regret it!
17. Favourite ice cream flavour? Oh that’s a tough one! Hmm… So many. But I guess I do tend to love a bit of Ben & Jerry’s Cookie Dough.
18. Apple or Android? Apple. But I use an Android phone because I’m too tight to shell out for an iPhone!
19. Blogger or WordPress? WordPress
20. Hostel or hotel? I love the hostel atmosphere. But really it depends on whether I’m travelling solo or not.
21. Guilty pleasure? Taking photos of amusing foreign toys. They have some crazy – and funny – things on the shelves in Thailand, Hong Kong and Japan!
22. Your chosen super-power? It’s gotta be flight, right?
23. Airplane seat – aisle, centre or window? Aisle – I enjoyed the window on my first few plane trips, but now I prefer to have the extra leg room.
24. What song/album are you listening to right now?
I’m on shuffle at the mo, but “Waves” by Luc & the Lovingtons has just started. So it’s a tune for a mellow evening.
25. Thanks a bunch for answering my questions, as a gesture of thanks I allow you one whole paragraph to shameless plug of your website…
That Time In is my collection of tales, tips, reviews, photos and musings on travel in – for now – Europe and Asia, which I started up after returning home at the end of last year. Amongst the stories are how I’ve road-tripped around Spain in an old VW Transporter, experienced Europe’s loudest street festival, ventured to Japan solo and been called a “cheap b**tard” by a Dutch stripper… So stop by, there’s something for everyone!