Woo, first interview of 2013. The last few weeks have been a bit quiet on the interview front, what with Xmas and new year. But now we’re back and back with a bang I might add. This weeks interviewee is one part of a blogging super couple well know for their exploits out in Korea. Alas they are soon to leave their base in Korea and head out to further explore Asia. Read all about it here.
HI, AND WHO MIGHT YOU BE?
1. Name? Audrey
2. Age? 25
3. Twitter Handle? @thatbackpacker
4. URL? Thatbackpacker.com
5. Home Town? Toronto, Canada
6. Current Location? Yongin, South Korea
7. … Business or pleasure?
I’m all business as I finish up the last few weeks of my contract!
8. Tell us a little bit about what you’re up to at the moment. Best bits, worst bits etc.
I’ve been teaching English at a private academy in Korea for the past year and gotten to explore quite a bit of the country in the process. The highlights have included eating copious amounts of 순두부찌개 (tofu stew), indulging in green tea ice cream whilst visiting tea plantations, and exploring the city’s back alleys. The lowlight was having to go to the doctor in a foreign country and explaining why I was crying from pain to someone who didn’t really speak a lot of English.
LETS TALK TRAVEL
9. First travel experience?
I was whisked off to Lima when I was 6 months old so that relatives could gush over me. ;)
10. Future travel plans?
Oh, they are good! In less than two months that hunky redhead that goes by Nomadic Samuel and I are setting off on an indefinite adventure that will have us spending several months in South East Asia before crossing over into the Indian subcontinent. I am most looking forward to coconut curries, mango lassis, and beach time!
11. If you could go anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
Bagan. I would love to visit the ruins of the former Burmese kingdom at dawn.
12. If you could avoid going anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
There isn’t a particular place that I wouldn’t visit, but take me anyplace that’s cold and I’ll be dragging my feet around town. Sooo, I’ll go with northern Scandinavia in the dead of winter…let’s save if for summer, shall we?
13. What 5 items would you not go travelling without?
*Toilet paper (I have learned my lesson),
*Pen, and …
*A book (preferably Theroux) to keep me entertained during the long bus rides.
14. Best bit of advice you’ve received?
“No heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second’s encounter with God and with eternity.”
In many ways reading Paulo Coelho’s The Alchemist gave me the nudge to pursue a life of travel.
I once took the subway to a sketchy part of town in search of a NYC museum that no longer existed. I was following the advice of a guidebook…it was about a decade out of date.
16. Best bit of advice you can give readers of this interview?
Travel slowly. The best way to get to know a place is to settle in, roam the streets at a local’s pace, find a little bistro to frequent, stop to chat to the people you meet, listen to their stories, accept their invitations, and let the city open itself up to you. At least that’s the way I like to do things. ;)
17. Favourite ice cream flavour?
Maracujá. Tangy yet refreshing.
18. Apple or Andriod?
A what? The last phone I owned back at home was affectionately nicknamed ‘the brick’ by my friends. Needless to say it had no camera or web-surfing capabilities…
19. Blogger or WordPress?
20. Hostel or hotel?
Hostels. Though I must admit, now that I’m no longer that broke 18 year old in Europe for the first time, I do enjoy staying in a nice little guesthouse or even a hotel every once in a while.
21. Guilty pleasure?
Anything with sugar. I’ve been known to devour cheesecake for breakfast, pick up pastries for ‘snacks’, and dive into a sinful pie for dinner…all in one day.
22. Your chosen super-power?
Omnilingualism: the ability to instantly speak and understand any language fluently.
23. Airplane seat – aisle, centre or window?
Aisle. Only because I hate having to hop over people to go to the washroom, plus the extra leg room that comes with stretching out diagonally is kind of nice.
24. What song/album are you listening to right now?
Well, PSY’s Gangnam Style has been playing non-stop since the summer in this part of the world, however, I feel it’s my duty to introduce you to some K-POP, which I find wildly entertaining. I’m not even kidding, you need to see this for yourself. Here’s some B1A4:
25. Thank you for answering my questions, as a gesture of thanks I allow you one whole paragraph to shameless plug off your website …
That Backpacker is my personal travel blog where I share travel advice, strange ‘EngRish’ signs, anecdotes and photos from around the world. When I’m not over there, you’ll likely find me blogging over at Backpacking Travel Blog, a project I run with together with Nomadic Samuel.
WANT TO BE NEXT?
- No more than 3 backlinks in your piece (not including the questions 3 and 4, you get those for free).
- Once published on my site, the interview must then be linked somewhere on your own site.
- Once published on my site, you should visit and ‘like’ my facebook page. (shameless I know)
- I reserve the right remove any answers or links that I deem unsuitable for this blog.