Volunteering in Africa, soaking up the sun in the Philippines and eating Pastel de Belem in Portugal are just a few of the travel adventures that you might find on the Fun As We Go travel blog. Started in 2010, Ashley, an east coast girl who’s now moved out west is a wifey, health nut, tree huger, seafood addict, beach lover, want-to-be runner who loves to spend her down time playing under the California sun. She’s also a journalist and her published work can be found in various newspapers and travel websites. Interested in learning more about Ashley and her travel adventures? Read on …
1. Name: Ashley Curtin
2. Age: 30
3. Twitter Handle: @FunAsWeGo
4. URL: www.funaswego.com
5. Home Town: Boston, MA (USA)
6. Current Location: Los Angeles, CA
7. … Business or pleasure? Pleasure, but business always has a way of creeping in.
8. Tell us a little bit about what you’re up to at the moment. Best bits, worst bits etc.
Discovering my real passion for travel 6 years ago, I have been acting upon it ever since. Volunteering my time in Africa, laying on the beaches in the Philippines and eating my way through Italy are just a few destinations I have set out on, but just a year ago I decided to share my personal travel stories with the rest of the world. While delayed flights and occasional misadventures cause havoc, my daily grind is a dream come true.
LETS TALK TRAVEL
9. First travel experience?
When I was a child being strapped in my car seat and riding in the backseat as my parents drove for hours to far off destinations. Stopping at various sights, my parents really knew how to plan a good road trip!
10. Future travel plans?
I am headed to Mazatlan, Mexico to cover the 18th Annual Gran Fiesta Amigos de Mazatlan. Also in the works, getting to Australia before the end of 2012.
11. If you could go anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
Turkey! I can’t get all the breathtaking photos of the country taken from fellow travellers out of my head, which means I must see and experience it for myself.
12. If you could avoid going anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
Florida…I think this state is totally overrated and on top of it, I can’t stand amusement parks!
13. What 5 items would you not go travelling without?
Chapstick, my iPhone, a journal and toilet paper (I learned the last item is very important from my journey through Africa.)
14. Best bit of advice you’ve received?
“Don’t be afraid to travel!”
I only had to hear this once and I was on the next flight to London and from there I have been all over the world and discovered myself through the understanding of other cultures.
“Wait until you have enough money to travel.”
Staying in 5-star luxury resorts is not my way of travelling. Meeting new people, finding remote places off the beaten path and discovering new cultures is the only reason I travel.
16. Best bit of advice you can give readers of this piece?
While travelling, do what makes you happy, follow your own path and create your own memories.
17. Favourite ice cream flavour? Black raspberry
18. Apple or Andriod? Apple
19. Blogger or WordPress? Blogger
20. Hostel or hotel? Hostel
21. Guilty pleasure? Devouring a whole bag of potato chips. And I make sure I find them no matter where I am.
22. Your chosen super-power? Flying! That way traveling would be so much easier.
23. Airplane seat – isle, centre or window? Window—I am obsessed with snapping photos from high in the sky.
24. What song/album are you listening to right now? Shield by Grizzle Bear
25. Thank you for answering my questions, as a gesture of thanks I allow you one whole paragraph to shameless plug of your website …
A transplant from the East Coast, Ashley currently resides in a Los Angeles, CA (USA). After traveling for years and documenting her experiences through words and photos, she finally mustered up the courage to share her adventures with the world on her blog FunAsWeGo. She has since become a journalist and her published work can be found in various newspapers and on different travel websites. She flies by the seat of her pants and loves every bit about it.
WANT TO BE NEXT?
- No more than 3 backlinks in your piece (not including the questions 3 and 4, you get those for free).
- Once published on my site, the interview must then be linked somewhere on your own site.
- Once published on my site, you should visit and ‘like’ my facebook page. (shameless i know)
- I reserve the right remove any answers or links that I deem unsuitable for my site.