Onto another Monday and onto another awesome Travel Blogger Interview. Ashley and Chris are a colourful couple of backpackers (see 2nd photo below) who have many a tale to tell from their travelling exploits around Asia. Enhance your Monday and lessen you suffering at the hands of a weekend been and gone by reading all about their incredible sounding adventures.
HI, AND WHO MIGHT YOU BE?
2. Age? Ashley is 22 and Chris is 23
3. Travel Blog? Almost Fearless Backpackers (www.almostfearlessbackpackers.com)
4. Twitter Handle? @AFBackpackers
5. Home Town? Chris is from Stratford, Ontario and Ashley is from Toronto, Ontario (Canada).
6. Current Location? Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, but moving on to Thailand in 2 days.
7. Your current location, business or pleasure? Simply Pleasure (and travel blogging of course!).
8. Can you tell us a little bit about what you’re up to at the moment? Best bits, worst bits etc.
We are currently enjoying all the wonderful food that Malaysia has to offer. We have been staying in KL for about 11 days now and we love it. Worst bit is that Chris has been sick for about a month now (thanks to Delhi Belly) and has only recently started to feel better. Ashley is also sick now with a cold. We are still enjoying our stay here in Malaysia, we just have to take it easy; we are spending the last two days getting caught up on our website blog.
LETS TALK TRAVEL
9. First travel experience?
Well we have had our childhood family travel experiences, but our first trip together was a week long vacation on a cruise boat.
10. Future travel plans?
Our future travel plans are to finish this trip with one month in both Thailand and Laos. Then unfortunately our trip comes to an end and we fly home. But we are still going to Orlando, Flordia this Christmas and we plan on doing a road trip throughout Canada while also planning our destination weeding.
11. If you could go anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
For Ashley it would be the Maldives as it has been a dreams of her’s for some time now. But for Chris it would be every country in the world, because they’re all on the bucket list.
12. If you could avoid going anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
Back to India, at least for a bit. We need some time for our immune system to recuperate after being sick for 4 weeks (Chris).
13. What 5 items would you not go travelling without?
-Money (Credit Cards for us, as we never have enough money),
-Multi-tool knife/pocket knife and
-hand sanatizer (never know when you’re going to need it, like wen a bird decides to shit on your hand)
14. Best bit of advice you’ve received?
Never think of anything as a bad experience, think of it as another experience that you can learn and grow from.
15. Worst advice?
Always travel with travellers cheques. Worst advice ever, maybe it worked back in the day, but in today’s age you can’t cash those things anywhere. And if you can what a procedure. 3 hours to find a bank that would cash them, 6 hours in the bank and I lost 15% of my money to the bank after the fee to cash them.
16. Best bit of advice you can give readers of this interview?
“One’s destination is not only a place but a new way of seeing things”
– as tattooed on Chris’s leg.
17. Favourite ice cream flavour?
We can both agree that raspberry sorbet is by far the best.
18. Apple or Andriod?
Android surpasses Apple in our opinion by far.
19. Blogger or WordPress?
WordPress. Although we use Weebly, we are looking to transfer to WordPress.
20. Hostel or hotel?
We generally pick hostels over hotels any day, except when we are looking to treat ourselves.
21. Guilty pleasure?
22. Your chosen super-power?
The choice to be invisible whenever we wanted. We could get onto any plane, train, bus and even tour for free :)
23. Airplane seat – aisle, centre or window?
Window, but Chris can’t fit his long legs in those seats on the cheaper flights so he is stuck with aisle.
24. What song/album are you listening to right now?
Mumford & Son’s – Babel
25. Thank you for answering my questions, as a gesture of thanks I allow you one whole paragraph to shameless plug of your website …
We started our website two years ago, thinking that it will be a blog really only for our family and closest friends to read. After coming up with more and more idea’s our website is now not only a blog for many viewers, but also a learning hub for future/first-time backpackers (providing multiple pages of backpacker need-to-know’s ). We started our serious travel adventures one and a half years ago, and don’t plan on stopping anytime soon. You can follow our travels here: www.almostfearlessbackpackers.com