If … actually scratch that, WHEN I eventually become the new host of Man Vs Food 2 destinations high of my list for monster meals will be Texas for the BBQ, and Germany for the Bratwurst (and maybe a beer or two). This weeks interviewee swapped BBQ for Bratwurst a while ago, as is now living the life as an expat out in Germany. Read all about this cross Atlantic adventure below …
HI, AND WHO MIGHT YOU BE?
1. Name? Alex Butts
2. Age? 23
3. Twitter Handle? @abuttsy
4. URL? http://ifsandsandbutts.com
5. Home Town? Houston, Texas
6. Current Location? Karlsruhe, Germany
7. Business or pleasure? Mostly pleasure with some (ok, lots) of work in the mix.
8. Tell us a little bit about what you’re up to at the moment. Best bits, worst bits etc.
In short, I graduated from university and decided that my Eurotrip the following summer would not be enough. I found an au pair job in Germany. Next thing I know, (ok, a year later) I’m working full time doing marketing and PR for a tech start up living the real US to Germany expat life.
LETS TALK TRAVEL
9. First travel experience?
I’m going to skip all those youth group, & family “adventures” and say my first Eurotrip between my junior and senior year of college. Four girls and a Eurail pass, madness ensued and I never wanted it to end.
10. Future travel plans?
2012: Amsterdam in a month;
2013 Norway, Sweden, Iceland, maybe throw in an Asia trip? And how could I forget my 5th Oktoberfest
11. If you could go anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
South Africa, I am totally envying others’ safari photos, those in warm weather, people with monkeys on their shoulders and anyone with an amazing cliff view. Also, it would probably be the biggest culture difference I’ve experienced yet.
12. If you could avoid going anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
In a grand 180 from what I said early, keep me clear of Scandinavia until at least March/April. It is already too cold in Germany for my liking and there’s not a coat in the world warm enough for me to ‘weather’ the elements.
13. What 5 items would you not go travelling without?
1. North Face rain jacket
2. WiFi enabled smartphone + Spotify
3. Canon Digital SLR
4. Burt’s Bees lip balm
5. Debit card
14. Best bit of advice you’ve received?
Go hang-gliding with Bernie & Ed in Interlaken, Switzerland
Don’t go be an au pair – you’ll be too far from home, you’ll miss so much, you need to start your career.
→ Just go people, get on the plane. Home will always be there and they will love you no matter what.
16. Best bit of advice you can give readers of this piece?
Be safe, but don’t be paranoid. Paranoid travelers let their worries get in the way of really experiencing somewhere. Talk to people. Let them show you around to special places and foods. Try anything once.
17. Favourite ice cream flavour?
Strong tie between cinnamon and Joghurt Eis in Germany
18. Apple or Andriod?
It’s really a dilemma considering my mega respect for both Google and Apple. Currently own a two-year-old Android and drooling over the iPhone 5.
19. Blogger or WordPress?
20. Hostel or hotel?
Hostel, best opportunity to make some travel buddies
21. Guilty pleasure?
Train station food
22. Your chosen super-power?
Patience and focus. Oh wait, people actually have those things?
23. Airplane seat – aisle, centre or window?
Window, because you never know when your plane might reroute over Greenland.
24. What song/album are you listening to right now?
Du – CRo (awesome German band)
25. Thank you for answering my questions, as a gesture of thanks I allow you one whole paragraph to shameless plug of your website …
Well, if you haven’t had enough of me yet, please come say hey. I love finding new blogs. Plus, you can learn a little about Germany, a little less about Europe, a lot about au pairing, too much about yours truly, and even a little German along the way.
WANT TO BE NEXT?
- No more than 3 backlinks in your piece (not including the questions 3 and 4, you get those for free).
- Once published on my site, the interview must then be linked somewhere on your own site.
- Once published on my site, you should visit and ‘like’ my facebook page. (shameless i know)
- I reserve the right remove any answers or links that I deem unsuitable for my site.