Its been a while. Around about 7 months to be honest, but if only for a single week TBI is back.
I’ve missed it to tell you the truth, reading about other bloggers like myself, how they spend their days and what inspired them to travel in the first place. Being a bit of a geek, I also love reading what super power they would choose given the opportunity, and where their guilty pleasures lie. Its all good fun, and a bit of escape from the more serious side of blogging (and frightful weather outside). Reading the below answers from Rachel has certainly helped ease me back into work after a long and very happy bank holiday weekend here in London. Hopefully her words will do the same for you to.
HI, AND WHO MIGHT YOU BE?
1. Name? Rachel Jones
2. Age? 24… for about 3 more days.
3. Travel Blog URL? Hippie in Heels
4. Twitter Handle? @hippie_inheels
5. Home Town? Lexington, Ohio
6. Current Location? Goa, India
7. Your current location, business or pleasure? Masseuse and Travel Blogger in Goa
8. Can you tell us a little bit about what you’re up to at the moment? Best bits, worst bits etc.
The best bits of my life now are trying out this “new career”, well actually 2! I am promoting my massage in Goa, where I have lived about a year and half. I also am also dead-set on showing people how gorgeous and easy to travel India can really be! The worst bits are suffering through another South Indian Monsoon- although that means I get to pick some new Indian places up north to explore!
LETS TALK TRAVEL
9. When did you fall in love with travel?
I have had an obsession with Africa since High School, but didn’t go on my first trip abroad until Uni. I was 19. I did some solo travel in Europe, then a few more big trips before I realized my nursing career was over… and travel was my life. I ended up living in India.
10. What are your future travel plans?
I hope to explore all the off the beaten places in India, after so long there, I still have SO many places to explore in detail. India in general isn’t touristy at all, but there are places that tourists go, and places that are far too rural. I want to check out the rural places and finally make it to an Indian wedding!
11. If you could go anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
I would backpack South America, particularly Peru. I’ve always wanted to get down that way, but now that I’m so far east it doesn’t make sense monetarily.
12. If you could avoid going anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
Probably would avoid going back to the Thai islands for a while… a month was long enough!
13. What 5 items would you not go travelling without? (assuming your passport and cash are a given)
Silly, but my Clinique lotion. I shrivel up without it. My iPhone, lip gloss & bindi’s to accessorize, maxi dresses, and a scarf are also fun and important!
14. Best bit of advice you’ve received whilst on the road?
My boyfriend (that I got on accident) constantly tells me to “chill out” and “calm down” when I get all “omg, I have to see everything!” After being in India for this long in a laid-back area, I no longer even need to be told to chill… and I enjoy travel so much more. I love being in a place that doesn’t have monuments to see or places I must try… I can just explore aimlessly and get such an incredible experience in India with ease.
15. … And the worst advice?
NOT TO GO! I am told all the time not to go to certain areas of India, Eastern Europe, and Uganda, but did anyways and they all in their own way changed my life… and weren’t dangerous at all.
16. What is the best bit of advice you can give readers of this interview?
I think you have to ask yourself what’s important to you. Do you like your job? Are you happy with your life? If you’re not, you have to ignore your friends and families pleas to stay put and instead, do what you want. I have a hard time with people wanting me home in the U.S. but I wouldn’t be happy unless I was living with my boyfriend in India. Do you!
17. Favourite ice cream flavour? Mint choco chip!
18. Listen to your ipod or read a book? I’m a woman… we multi-task. I do both AND eat a snack at the same time ;)
19. Bunkbeds, top or bottom bunk? Bottom
20. Ideal travel companion? (can be a real person or fictional character) Really anyone who is laid-back and not too much of a cheapo. It’s hard when the person you travel with is on a way different budget that you. I like to travel with other shoppers!
21. Guilty pleasure? The Real Housewives of… Everywhere. I love that show!! I download it in India and stay up to date.
22. Your chosen super-power? Teleporting. Man, wouldn’t that be nice.
23. Airplane seat – aisle, centre or window? Window always.
24. What song/album are you listening to right now? I am really into old country now. Patsy Cline, George Straight, and Garth Brooks. No one around me is pleased about it.
25. Thank you for answering my questions, as a gesture of thanks I allow you one whole paragraph to shameless plug of your website …
Although it wasn’t intentional, Hippie in Heels has sort of become the site to go to for all things India (particularly Goa) related since I’ve been here so long. Other than writing about India, I share packing tips and of course all the other 24 countries I’ve been to. My site is all about staying glamorous without spending a fortune to do so: where to get the best massages (cough, cough, from me in Goa), great salons and spas, and of course the coolest clubs to party. I like to show people it is really possible to leave your old job in the dust, but that just making a blog won’t always cut it. You have to find something else you love so you don’t starve ;) Follow you dreams, but also be realistic.