It sods law that last week I tell of my wanting desperately to visit Canada, and then I find out upon reading the below that this weeks interviewee is off to Canada in just a few short days *shakes fist in anger and jealousy. But I guess that’s how these blogs work, you read a few (more like a couple of hundred), and they inspire you to want to travel to new places. I my case, Canada. On yet another Monday morning, why not take a read of the below and become inspired to travel somewhere new by this weeks interviewee. Seriously, what else are you going to do on a Monday that’s more worthwhile?
HI, AND WHO MIGHT YOU BE?
2. Age? 29 this year
3. Travel Blog URL? www.mywanderlust.pl
4. Twitter Handle? @mywanderlustpl
5. Home Town? Puławy, Poland
6. Current Location? Warsaw, Poland
7. Your current location, business or pleasure? Business
8. Can you tell us a little bit about what you’re up to at the moment? Best bits, worst bits etc.
I’ve been travelling since I remember, first with my parents, then, since I was 18, mostly solo. I’ve crossed Europe by train couple of times, I take advantage of cheap airlines and even if I work full time I always seem to be on the way. I’ve explored almost the whole Europe (and I’m a huge enthusiast of its Eastern, off the beaten path, part), now it’s time for other continents.
LETS TALK TRAVEL
9. First travel experience?
I can’t even recall it, ever since I remember I was travelling often. I do however have some vague pictures of daytrips with my mum to Warsaw and Cracow (and even if I was a really small kid there were no excuses and we did some major sightseeing there)
10. Future travel plans?
I’m off to Canada in few days for 11 days, maybe not much but it should be good for the first time in North America. I’ll only explore Ontario and Quebec this time. Then I’m really tempted to go for few days to Belarus in May. As for the rest of the year I’m still trying to figure out where to go for 2-3 weeks in autumn, so far Russia and post Soviet -stans and Middle East are on the very top of my bucket list but we’ll see. I also have lots of weekend trips planed to travel around Poland and neighbour countries.
11. If you could go anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
I’d love to travel by train around Russia and Post Soviet -stans. There’s something magical and bohemian in taking the train and in a country such as Russia it must be even a greater experience and an adventure itself. I wouldn’t need to visit all that many places, maybe just major cities and some mountain areas, sightseeing from the train’s window would be awesome too. Not to mention being around local people, getting to know them, listen to their stories… I’ve been learning Russian for a while and I’m really hoping to practice it in the real life soon.
12. If you could avoid going anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
China. I was there last autumn and well, it wasn’t the best country ever. I think the cross cultural differences were a little bit too much for me. Also eating out was a challenge there since I’m a vegetarian. Well, it was an interesting experience and now I’m glad I went there, I just don’t think I’ll be returning there anytime soon…
13. What 5 items would you not go travelling without?
– A book (I finally have time to catch up on reading when on the road)
– A camera (I take way too many pictures and hate myself for that later on)
– A notebook and a pen (to take notes on the road so I wouldn’t forget about things I’ve seen and experienced)
– A headlamp (to be able to read easily in the night train or a dorm room in a hostel or to be able to walk in the evening in the more remote places)
14. Best bit of advice you’ve received?
Don’t be afraid of people out there but listen to your intuition
15. Worst advice?
Female solo travel is the worst idea ever
16. Best bit of advice you can give readers of this interview?
Don’t listen to people knowing what’s best for you, just do what you enjoy the most and follow your dreams
17. Favourite ice cream flavour? Strawberry
18. Apple or Andriod? Android
19. Blogger or WordPress? Blogger (but I’m considering switching to WordPress)
20. Hostel or hotel? Definitely hostel
21. Guilty pleasure? Coca-cola, especially that it tastes different in every country!
22. Your chosen super-power? Maybe not a super-power but if only the day could have 48 hours, at least…
23. Airplane seat – aisle, centre or window? Window, without any doubts!
24. What song/album are you listening to right now? Russian radio with alternative rock music
25. Thank you for answering my questions, as a gesture of thanks I allow you one whole paragraph to shameless plug of your website ...
I’ve been blogging not for a long time (started last summer, after 4 or so failed attempts) and enjoy it much more than I expected. With my blog I try to encourage people to visit Eastern Europe and especially its off the beaten path places, I try to show other females that travelling solo isn’t all that bad and that independent travel is definitely the way to go. One of the reasons why I started this whole blog thing was to meet alike people so do come to my page, FB or Twitter and say hi!