#RTW – seeing those four characters plastered over twitter every day is agony for the cubicle warriors amongst us who yearn to escape office life. But, out there somewhere in the mist of all the number crunchers and IT bods are a few brave souls who have the bottle to jack it all in and just go live their dream. This weeks travel blogger interview features one part of a team who have done exactly that. They set sail (figuratively speaking) NEXT WEEK! My jealousy knows no bounds but I’m also incredibly excited for them. Here’s the details on their trip and what makes them tick about travel in general.
HI, AND WHO MIGHT YOU BE?
1. Name: Dave
2. Age: 24
3. Twitter Handle: @acoupletraveler
4. URL: acoupletravelers.com
5. Home Town: Ashland, MA
6. Current Location: Ashland, MA
7. … Business or pleasure? Going to go with both here, travel is both our pleasure AND our business
8. Tell us a little bit about what you’re up to at the moment. Best bits, worst bits etc.
Literally just quit my job as of September 7th. Formerly I was a Business Analyst for a financial services company…how exciting. We’re preparing for our two year trip through Asia and Europe. It’s been a long road, at least 6 months of planning, and on Saturday we embark for Osaka, Japan. Right now we’re actively seeking couchsurfers to begin our trip.
LETS TALK TRAVEL
9. First travel experience?
While I traveled a bit with my parents in my “youth”, the first time I consider to really be an experience was 12 days in Italy with my girlfriend (and current travel mate) Vicky. Seniors in high school, we went to Rome, Florence, Venice, Turin, and Milan, all on our own. We did the entire prep work and most of the funding (it was in part a graduatoin gift).
10. Future travel plans?
11. If you could go anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
Maybe Brazil? South America is, regrettably, not on our list of places for this upcoming trip. I’ve never been but would really like to experience the countries and culture, even if only for a day.
12. If you could avoid going anywhere tomorrow where would it be and why?
Probably to my old job. I spent enough time there and the traffic to and from is terrible!
13. What 5 items would you not go travelling without?
- Toiletries (kind of cheating here),
- Video Camera.
14. Best bit of advice you’ve received?
It’s rarely the things you do that you end up regretting but the things that you don’t do.
You should shave your head
16. Best bit of advice you can give readers of this piece?
I don’t want to say that anything is possible. Firstly because it’s cliche, and secondly because it’s not – at least, I don’t think it is. For example, not everyone in the world is as privileged as most Westerners. That said, to a large degree, I think if you set your mind to something and work to make it happen it CAN happen. That is what Vicky and I have done with this trip and it is happening for us right now.
17. Favourite ice cream flavour? Americone Dream (Ben and Jerry’s)
18. Apple or Andriod? Apple
19. Blogger or WordPress? WordPress
20. Hostel or hotel? Neither, couchsurfing (but then hostel)
21. Guilty pleasure? Sweets (see Ice Cream)
22. Your chosen super-power? Time Travel hands down
23. Airplane seat – isle, centre or window? I go back and forth on this one. I’m 6′ 3 so I usually think aisle so I can stretch but then the carts hit my knee…still have to go with aisle I think though.
24. What song/album are you listening to right now? Nero – Promises
25. Thank you for answering my questions, as a gesture of thanks I allow you one whole paragraph to shameless plug of your website …
Vicky and I have been working endlessly to make our blog something to be proud of and something readers can enjoy. We’re really looking to be a valuable resource for you and getting to the very heart of the information that matters. How to get from A to B. How much does it cost to travel, to run a website? What did we pack, safe, etc? We don’t consider anything private and we market that as potentially the one area where we differ from most travel blogs – so come see for yourselves!
WANT TO BE NEXT?
- No more than 3 backlinks in your piece (not including the questions 3 and 4, you get those for free).
- Once published on my site, the interview must then be linked somewhere on your own site.
- Once published on my site, you should visit and ‘like’ my facebook page. (shameless i know)
- I reserve the right remove any answers or links that I deem unsuitable for my site.