Staying in hostels is an excellent way of saving money on the road, the trouble is, sometimes they dont provide the most comfortable nights rest. There are any number of things that could keep you up at night during your stay in a hostel …
- Loud roommates going to bed later than you
- Roommates who snore
- Creaky beds
- Smelly room
- Outrageous heat
- People rustling plastic bags (a personal hatred of mine)
- The worry of your possessions being tea leafed (thieved)
- Inability to reach friends and family due to lack of plug sockets for charging phones, laptops etc
With all the above in mind and using my personal hostel experiences I have decdied to try and create what I believe to be the ideal hostel bunkbed. The aim of the ultimate bunk would be to to provide the ultimate nights rest within a hostel.
Behold, in all its slightly dodgy photoshopped glory …
**Ideally both bottom and top bunks would have all of the same features. The above depicts only a single sleeping unit, not both bottom and top bunks.
- Personal safe. A safe place to keep your passport and wallet etc. It is not open by a key (eaily lost/stolen), but rather my a combination code. Inside the safe a plug socket also resides so that your handheld electronic can be charged in safety.
- Lockers for your rucksack underneath the bed. This also saves on space in the room.
- An individual fan to combat heat.
- An individual reading light.
- A personal curtain. This affords you a little privacy and allows you to keep your reading light (above) on whilst others are trying to sleep. The curtain would also help block out some of the noise others in the room are making e.g. snoring.
- Solid panels at each end of the bunk with towel rails attached. This will give the bunk a bit more of a sterdy frame. keep out some of the noise in the room and will also provide an obvious place to hang wet towels etc. Solves the problem of having someone elses wet towel overhanging your bunk.
I’ve tried to be as realistic as possible with this bunk, no point me saying that each bunk should come with an xbox, aint gonna happen. I dont think the suggestions i’ve made are too far fetched though.